Friday, December 10, 2010

Frankfurt Germany Humanitarian Conference Was a Real "Swelling" Experience...at least for me!


Tom and I went to Germany for a 3 day conference in November. It was so awesome! We got great council from our leaders Blaine & Chris Colton, Elder Wirthlin, and John Mulligan. We were so excited to see the other 7 Humanitarian Missionary couples projects and what they are doing in their countries. Very inspiring. The morning of the second day I felt strange inside my mouth and I leaned over to Tom and asked him; "Does my lip look fat on the outside because it feels real fat on the inside?". His eyes got very big and he exclaimed "Oh my gosh, yes!!" He immediately got up and went to Elder Colton (who was conducting the conference) and explained that something was going on with my face. Elder Colton looked across the room at me and called Dr Swenson at the Area Office. He got me on the phone with Dr Swenson to help me figure out what was going on. We decided that the only thing I had taken out of the norm for me was some cold medicine I had purchased in Germany the day before. I was having an alergic reaction to it. So he came to the conference to look at the ingredient list on the pkg. He gave me something like Benedryl to stop the swelling and the itching. The photos below were taken at the very early stage of the swelling. It got much worse after Dr Swensons visit. My torso turned bright red and itched like crazzzzzy. Then my scalp would itch. Then my eyes swelled shut. Then my throat started to get congesty & scratchy. I went to church with everyone but the itching and swelling was focused on all the parts of me that sit. Ugh! We were supposed to catch our plane home to Moldova but Dr Swenson took me to the emergency room instead. They gave me some kind of super-duper all powerful IV drip that the hospital doctor promised would make it all go away by the time the drip was finished. When I was still bright red afterward he wanted to admit me but Dr Swenson didn't think that was needed.
Since we missed our flight it was decided we would stay for 2 days to clear this all up before flying. So the upside to all this itchy event was that Tom and I got to stay in the Frankfurt "Apostles apartment". How cool is that?! I got to sleep in the same bed as Elder Nelson and Elder Oaks...not at the same time of course!! About 24 hours after the hospital visit I was pretty much back to normal so we went winter cloths shopping...another upside to all this! Did I mention that the conference was great?


1 comment:

  1. What an awful experience! You still look cute with puffy lips, though. :)

    ReplyDelete